Our Legacy

 

 
 

          THE HISTORY OF CLARK’S CHAPEL BAPTIST CHURCH

Founded 1885

 

 

       

 

        Shortly after the Civil War, under the leadership of Reverend Joe James and Deacons Lewis Thomas, C.Y. Thomas and Los Rhinehart, a small log cabin on Eufola Road opened its doors as Thomas Baptist Church.  The church was named after the Thomas brothers who, at the time, were the only African American landowners in the community.

         In 1885, the church experienced a number of significant changes.  Mr. Joe Sherrill, husband of the former Miss Maggie Thomas, was added to the deacon board, the church relocated a quarter of a mile to its present location, a small wooden plank building was erected, and renamed, Clark’s Chapel. The name was chosen to recognize the original owner, Mr. William Clark, a white friend of the Thomas and Sherrill families.  A year later, the trustees’ attained a clear deed from Mr. Clark and the church was finally in a position to grow. 

        Upon the death of Reverend James, the members called Reverend Lee Ramseur to pastor Clark’s Chapel. Rev. Ramseur served faithfully for approximately eighteen years. During his tenure, Clark’s Chapel joined with several area Baptist churches to form the Mountain and Catawba Missionary Baptist Association, August 1904. Between 1920 and 1976, as America experienced tumultuous changes, Clark’s Chapel flourished under the guidance of Reverends J.W. Caldwell and J.C. Graham.                             

        During Reverend Caldwell’s fourteen years of service, the Odd Fellows of the Eufola Lodge laid the first cornerstone.  In 1935, Rev. J.C. Graham was called to pastor.  For more than forty years, Rev. Graham navigated the flock through tremendous social changes and oversaw the renovation of the church.

        In September 26, 1976, Rev. Vernon Thompson was called to pastor the flock.  During his four years of administration, the churches programs were revised to reflect the needs of the community.

         In November of 1980, after serving six months as interim pastor, Rev. Charles B. Mingo was elected as pastor of Clark’s Chapel.   During Mingo’s 33-year tenure, the church grew spiritually and physically. Evidence of the church’s physical growth includes the dedication of two sanctuaries (1989 and 2008), purchase of 32 acres of land, expansion of ministry programs, and the renovation of the J.C. Graham Fellowship Hall.  Rev. Mingo retired in November 2012. Rev. Mingo serves the church as pastor emeritus.

       On February 15, 2014, Reverend Dr.  Dietrich Morrison-Danner was elected as the 13th pastor of Clark’s Chapel.  Dr. Danner assumed his new duties on March 23, 2014.  Building upon the its rich legacy, Clark’s Chapel is “ONE CHURCH: ONE COMMUNITY  - Transforming Lives in the Heart of the Community.”

 

Clark's Chapel Baptist Church


806 Eufola Rd

Statesville, NC 28677


Phone: 704 872-6001

E-mail: ccbc1885@gmail.com

Print Print | Sitemap
© Clark's Chapel Baptist Church